NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — There were new developments overnight in the scandal surrounding nursing home deaths during the pandemic. Published reports by The New York Times and The Wall Street Journal allege top aides to Gov. Andrew Cuomo intervened to rewrite a July 2020 draft report by the Department of Health on nursing home deaths to conceal the actual number of people who passed away. It was a problem because of a March 25 Department of Health order that said nursing homes should accept a return of patients who had COVID-19 and had been treated in hospitals, CBS2’s Marcia Kramer reported. According to the papers, the draft report said that nearly 10,000 nursing home residents died from the coronavirus . But after the alleged “rewrite,” which excluded patients transferred to hospitals who later died, the public was told the number of people who died was 6,432. Beth Garvey, special counsel to the governor, issued a statement saying: The out of facility data was omitted after DOH could not confirm it had been adequately verified – this did not change the conclusion of the report, which was and is that the March 25 order was “not a driver of nursing home infections or fatalities.” Federal prosecutors are investigating the alleged cover-up of nursing home deaths. Cuomo is also facing new revelations in his sexual harassment scandal after one of his accusers spoke out on camera for the first time. Charlotte Bennett, 25, spoke from the heart in an exclusive interview with CBS Evening News anchor Norah O’Donnell . Bennett is one of three women pointing their fingers at the governor. Bennett charged that in May 2020, Cuomo asked her what she called inappropriate questions that made her think he wanted to have sexual relations with her. Bennett said the governor repeatedly asked her about being a rape survivor. “Why do you think he was fixated on you as a survivor of sexual assault?” O’Donnell asked. “I think it’s really strategic. I think abusers look for vulnerabilities, previous traumas, the idea that maybe I’m more willing to accept behavior because I have a history of sexual violence, perhaps I’m not as confident in myself because of my history,” Bennett said. Cuomo publicly apologized to Bennett and said he never touched anyone inappropriately.
Originally posted here:
Reports: Top Cuomo Aides Allegedly Altered July Report To Conceal Number Of Nursing Home Deaths
NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — Several people are hurt, including two children, after a multi-vehicle crash sent debris flying through the air during the morning commute in Manhattan. The crash happened around 8:30 a.m. at the corner of 2nd Avenue and East 50th Street in Midtown . Police said a white van was driving south on 2nd Ave. when it hit a black Toyota Camry, causing the Camry to spin out and crash into an outdoor dining area nearby. Fortunately, no one was inside the structure. The white van then crashed into a food stand about a block away at 49th Street. Police said seven people were taken to the hospital, including two children, ages 5 and 7, who were hit by debris. (Credit: Blank Slate Restaurant) A restaurant owner whose business is right in front of the scene said one of his employees heard a loud bang and rushed out to help. “He came right out, he called 911. Luckily, no one got hurt. We had people seated in all these little huts. Luckily, just some debris made it over here, nothing more than that,” Zach Israel told CBS2’s Kiran Dhillon. “We heard the sirens all morning. My son said he woke up and heard like a boom, like a bomb, or someone falling from a building and screens,” another person added. All of the victims were taken to area hospitals in stable condition and expected to be OK. Police said the driver of the van is in custody. Check back with CBS2, CBSN New York and CBSNewYork.com for more on this breaking news.
Continue reading here:
7 Hurt, Including 2 Children, After Car Slams Into Outdoor Dining Structure In Midtown
NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — Nearly five months after Westchester County and Long Island theaters reopened , New York City movie theaters welcomed back audiences Friday. Theaters can reopen at 25% capacity, with no more than 50 people per screen at a time. Masks and social distancing are required, except when eating or drinking, and seat will be assigned. As CBS2’s John Dias reported, the popcorn was popped and the soda was flowing. Some things felt the same at many theaters again for a pastime countless have missed. “Just the experience of getting out of the house and doing something else, being around other people,” Manhattan resident Lars Dewenter told Dias. “The popcorn, the big screen, the Dolby surround sound. The stuff you just don’t get at home watching on your regular TV,” Flatbush resident Beverly Johnson said. It’s been almost a year since statewide COVID restrictions shut down movie theaters. Mostly all have since been lifted, but the city was last. So most New Yorkers have been forced to stream movies at home. “Watching at home by myself is different,” said Ricky Ho, of Rego Park, Queens. While some companies like Regal Cinemas still haven’t set a reopening date, and others aren’t opening concession stands, AMC Theaters welcomed back guests at all of its 13 city theaters. A line formed before the one in Times Square reopened. Dias met an Upper East Side man named Thomas who had been waiting outside for an hour to make sure he scored a ticket to see “Raya and the Last Dragon.” “It’s a Disney film, and the last Disney movie I saw in theaters was of course ‘Onward,’” he said. He said he feels safe being back, especially since AMC partnered with Clorox and Harvard University public health faculty to develop safety protocol, including upgraded air filtration and automatic seat blocking in each auditorium. “It’s more safer than, no offense to any people at restaurants, but it’s more safer than dining inside,” he added. All theaters are limited to 25% capacity, with no more than 50 people per screen at a time. Masks and social distancing are required, except when eating or drinking, and there is assigned seating. Billiard halls also reopened statewide Friday at 35% capacity in New York City and 50% outside the city.
See the original post:
New York City Movie Theaters Reopen After Nearly A Year Of COVID Restrictions
UNION CITY, N.J. (CBSNewYork) — A couple hundred seniors were among the first New Jersey residents to receive the Johnson & Johnson vaccine Friday in Union City . Many of the residents CBS2’s Natalie Duddridge met had been worrying about how to use a computer to book an appointment, or even how to physically get there. So health officials brought the vaccine to them — right in their own apartment building. Since the Johnson & Johnson shot only requires one dose, they are now fully vaccinated. Gov. Phil Murphy met health officials and watched as Anna Maria Flores received her vaccine. She said she feels safer and relieved. She was one of 400 seniors at the Union Plaza apartments getting the single-dose shot Friday morning. The building was chosen because a large majority of the seniors who live there have disabilities, and the single-dose is much more accessible. There have been questions surrounding Johnson & Johnson’s overall efficacy not being as high as Moderna and Pfizer , but health officials say it has its advantages . It’s easier to transport and store, and you don’t have to worry about booking a second shot. Officials say that makes it more effective in the more vulnerable or hard to reach communities. “That’s terrific, because you never know what could happen in six weeks, four weeks or whatever. That’s just terrific,” one woman said. “This vaccine was tested in the teeth of the raging virus, including a significant amount of the trial in South America, Brazil specifically, and South Africa,” Murphy said. “One-hundred percent effective against hospitalizations and death, thank God, 85% effective against severe illness.” The governor stressed the sooner people get shots, the better change of keeping people out of hospitals and preventing variants from spreading.
RIVERSIDE (CBSLA) — Three people face several drug-related charges Friday after a honey oil lab exploded inside a Riverside apartment. (credit: Riverside Police Department) The explosion happened at about 6 a.m. Monday morning in the 600 block of Central Avenue, in the Canyon Crest neighborhood of Riverside. Police officers and firefighters were called out to respond to the fire, which was determined to have been caused by a butane honey oil lab set up inside one of the apartments and displaced several neighbors. A 38-year-old man with severe burn injuries was taken to the hospital shortly after the explosion, police said. Officers went to the hospital to talk to him and the woman who took him to the hospital and identified them as the residents of the apartment where the explosion happened. (credit: Riverside Police Department) The unidentified man was taken to Arrowhead Regional Medical Center Burn Unit for further medical treatment, but faces charges in the explosion to be filed at a later date, according to police. The woman who took him to the hospital, 41-year-old Lisa Marie Twyman, was arrested on suspicion of manufacturing a controlled substance, conspiracy to commit a felony, and outstanding misdemeanor warrants. Twyman is being held on $50,000 bail. Cutter Mendonca, 22, was also arrested in a car nearby on outstanding warrants, weapons violations, and drug violations. He is also believed to be affiliated with the two suspects and their apartment, police said. The displaced neighbors were assisted by the Riverside County District Attorney’s Victim Services Unit. Anyone with more information about the suspects or the investigation can contact the Riverside Police Department’s narcotics unit at (951) 353-7200.
CORONA (CBSLA) – The city of Corona teamed up with Riverside County to offer seniors a a chance to get the COVID-19 vaccine this week. A COVID-19 vaccine event at the Corona Senior Center in Corona, Calif. March 4, 2021. (CBSLA) The two-day Pfizer vaccine event was being held Thursday and Friday at the Corona Senior Center. It was open to anyone age 65 and older. For information on getting an appointment, click here . Through Thursday, Riverside County has recorded 290,744 cases and 3,884 deaths from the disease. Over 547,000 doses of the vaccine have been administered.
Read the original here:
COVID Vaccine Event Held For Seniors In City Of Corona
ALBANY, N.Y. (CBSNewYork) — The New York State Assembly and Senate are voting to repeal temporary emergency powers granted to Gov. Andrew Cuomo at the start of the coronavirus pandemic. Those powers are set to expire April 30. If repealed, executive orders currently in place related to the reduction of COVID-19 cases, the vaccine process and requiring face coverings will remain in place for 30 days. READ MORE: Reports: Top Cuomo Aides Allegedly Altered July Report To Conceal Number Of Nursing Home Deaths However, Cuomo would no longer be allowed to make decisions without input from the legislature.
Go here to read the rest:
New York State Legislature Voting On Repeal Of Gov. Cuomo’s Emergency Powers
Eagles center Jason Kelce has agreed to a reworked deal with the Eagles that contains $9 million in guarantees and can be worth up to $12 million, a source told ESPN.
The rest is here:
Kelce holds off retirement, returning to Eagles