By Libertinus Yomango
- Today’s Afro Birthdays ! MLB player, Prince Fielder ! MLB player, Tony Gwynn ! Olympic Gold Medalist, Ralph Boston ! Singer, Tamia !
- Today in Afro History ! Bishop Desmond Tutu defies apartheid laws by walking on a whites only beach in 1989 ! Renaldo “Skeets” Nehemiah breaks world record in the 110m hurdles and becomes the first ever to run it under 13 seconds in 1981 !
- Today’s Afro Birthdays ! Actor, Kenan Thompson ! Olympic Gold Medalist, Merlene Ottey ! NBA player, Wilson Chandler !
- Today in Afro History ! Jamaican Sprinter, Asafa Powell breaks 100m world record with a time of 9.77 seconds in 2005 !
- Today in Afro History ! Hazel Scott becomes first Afro American Woman to have her own TV show in 1950 !
- Today in Afro History ! Arthur Ashe becomes the first Afro American to win the mens singles title at Wimbledon in 1975 !
Today in Afro History ! Jamaican saxophonist Cedric Brooks passes away in 2013. The Supreme Court ruling in 1948, Shelley vs. Kraemer, stating that covenants prohibiting Afro Americans from purchasing real estate, are legally unenforceable. was last modified: May 1st, 2017 by Marc Alexander