By Libertinus Yomango
- Today in Afro History ! Jamaican Sprinter, Asafa Powell breaks 100m world record with a time of 9.77 seconds in 2005 !
- Today in Afro History ! Arthur Ashe becomes the first Afro American male to win the U.S Open in 1968 !
- Today in Afro History ! Arthur Ashe becomes first Afro American to qualify for the U.S. Davis Cup in 1963 !
- Today in Afro History ! Althea Gibson becomes the first Afro American woman to win a major tennis title by winning the French Open in 1956 !
- Today in Afro History ! Sugar Ray Robinson wins his Fifth World Championship Title in 1958 !
- Today in Afro History ! Mayor Thomas Bradley elected as the first Afro American Mayor of Los Angeles in 1973 !
Today in Afro History ! Jamaican saxophonist Cedric Brooks passes away in 2013. The Supreme Court ruling in 1948, Shelley vs. Kraemer, stating that covenants prohibiting Afro Americans from purchasing real estate, are legally unenforceable. was last modified: May 1st, 2019 by Marc Alexander