By Libertinus Yomango
- Today in Afro History ! Bishop Desmond Tutu defies apartheid laws by walking on a whites only beach in 1989 ! Renaldo “Skeets” Nehemiah breaks world record in the 110m hurdles and becomes the first ever to run it under 13 seconds in 1981 !
- Today in Afro History ! The Fifteenth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution is adopted in 1870, which prohibits the denying of any citizen the right to vote based on race or color !
- Today in Afro History ! Jamaican Sprinter, Asafa Powell breaks 100m world record with a time of 9.77 seconds in 2005 !
- Today in Afro History ! Mayor Thomas Bradley elected as the first Afro American Mayor of Los Angeles in 1973 !
- Today in Afro History ! Doug Williams becomes the first Afro American quarterback to play in the Superbowl, leading Washington to victory over Denver in 1988 !
- Today in Afro History ! Hazel Scott becomes first Afro American Woman to have her own TV show in 1950 !
Today in Afro History ! Jamaican saxophonist Cedric Brooks passes away in 2013. The Supreme Court ruling in 1948, Shelley vs. Kraemer, stating that covenants prohibiting Afro Americans from purchasing real estate, are legally unenforceable. was last modified: May 1st, 2018 by Marc Alexander