“Isandhlwana” by Charles Edwin Fripp
- Today in Afro History ! The Montgomery Bus Boycott begins in 1955 !
- Today in Afro History ! Bishop Desmond Tutu defies apartheid laws by walking on a whites only beach in 1989 ! Renaldo “Skeets” Nehemiah breaks world record in the 110m hurdles and becomes the first ever to run it under 13 seconds in 1981 !
- Today in Afro History ! Activist Steve Biko is arrested by South African police in 1977. He would later die from injuries suffered during his arrest. South Africa is banned from 1964 Olympics because of apartheid.
- Today in Afro History ! The Largest ever mass immunization of yellow fever begins in West Africa in 2009 !
- Today in Afro History ! Activist, Medgar Evers is shot and killed in 1963. Nelson Mandela is sentenced to life imprisonment in 1964.
- Today in Afro History ! The “Soweto Uprising”. A non-violent march of over 10,000 students in Soweto, South Africa, turns violent when police open fire on the crowd in 1976. Kenneth A. Gibson becomes first Afro American Mayor of Newark in 1970 !
Today in Afro History ! The Anglo-Zulu War against British colonial rule in South Africa begins in 1879 ! was last modified: December 31st, 2017 by Marc Alexander