- Today in Afro History ! The Fifteenth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution is adopted in 1870, which prohibits the denying of any citizen the right to vote based on race or color !
- Today in Afro History ! Activist, Medgar Evers is shot and killed in 1963. Nelson Mandela is sentenced to life imprisonment in 1964.
- Today in Afro History ! Nelson Mandela is jailed in apartheid South Africa in 1962 !
- Today in Afro History ! Activist Steve Biko is arrested by South African police in 1977. He would later die from injuries suffered during his arrest. South Africa is banned from 1964 Olympics because of apartheid.
- Today in Afro History ! Nigeria Joins the United Nations in 1960 !
- Today in Afro History ! Nelson Mandela is sentenced to 5 years in prison in 1962 ! Uganda joins the United Nation in 1962 !
Today in Afro History ! South African President, F.W. de Klerk lifted the ban against anti-apartheid groups such as the African National Congress and committed to releasing Nelson Mandela in 1990 ! was last modified: January 31st, 2018 by Marc Alexander