- Today in Afro History ! The Fifteenth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution is adopted in 1870, which prohibits the denying of any citizen the right to vote based on race or color !
- Today in Afro History ! Desmond Tutu becomes the first Afro South African to lead the Anglican Church in South Africa in 1986 !
- Today in Afro History ! Jerry Rawlings takes power in Ghana after a military coup in 1979 !
- Today in Afro History ! Janelle Commissiong becomes first Afro Miss Universe in 1977 !
- Today in Afro History ! Phylicia Rashad wins a tony for leading role in ” A Raisin in the Sun ” in 2004 ! Civil Rights Activist James Meredith is shot while marching across Mississippi in 1966.
- Today in Afro History ! Carl Lewis breaks world indoor long jump record in 1984 !
Today in Afro History ! Bishop Desmond Tutu defies apartheid laws by walking on a whites only beach in 1989 ! Renaldo “Skeets” Nehemiah breaks world record in the 110m hurdles and becomes the first ever to run it under 13 seconds in 1981 ! was last modified: July 29th, 2018 by Marc Alexander