- Today in Afro History ! Activist, Medgar Evers is shot and killed in 1963. Nelson Mandela is sentenced to life imprisonment in 1964.
- Today in Afro History ! The Central African Republic declares independence from France in 1960 !
- Today in Afro History ! Leopold Sedar Senghor becomes the first elected president of Senegal in 1960 !
- Today in Afro History ! Uganda becomes a self governing country in 1961 !
- Today in Afro History ! 200 former slaves leave Savannah Ga. to establish themselves in Liberia Africa in 1895 !
- Today in Afro History ! Ibrahim Bare Mainassara (President of Niger) was assassinated in 1999 !
Today in Afro History ! The “Soweto Uprising”. A non-violent march of over 10,000 students in Soweto, South Africa, turns violent when police open fire on the crowd in 1976. Kenneth A. Gibson becomes first Afro American Mayor of Newark in 1970 ! was last modified: May 31st, 2019 by Marc Alexander