- Today in Afro History ! The Fifteenth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution is adopted in 1870, which prohibits the denying of any citizen the right to vote based on race or color !
- Today in Afro History ! Jan Ernst Matzeliger patents the shoe “Lasting Machine” in 1883 !
- Today in Afro History ! Jack Johnson defeats Tommy Burns, making him the first Afro American, World Heavyweight Champion in 1908 !
- Today in Afro History ! David Dinkins becomes the first Afro American Mayor of New York City in 1989 !
- Today in Afro History ! Derek Walcott is awarded The Nobel Prize in Literature in 1992 !
- Today in Afro History ! Muhammed Ali defeats Leon Spinks in 1978 at the Superdome in New Orleans, making him the first Heavyweight to win the Championship title three times !
Today in Afro History ! Joe Gans becomes the first Afro American World Boxing Champion in 1902 ! was last modified: May 1st, 2018 by Marc Alexander