- Today in Afro History ! John Woodruff wins Gold Medal in the 800m run, at the 1936 Olympic Games !
- Today in Afro History ! Edward W. Brooke becomes the first Afro American Senator in 1966 !
- Today in Afro History ! Kurt Lidell Schmoke becomes the first Afro American Mayor of Baltimore in 1987 !
- Today in Afro History ! The USS Harmon is the first U.S. warship named after an Afro American war hero in 1943 ! It was named after Medal of Valor recipient, Leonard Roy Harmon !
- Today in Afro History ! Iowa State University’s first Afro American football player, Jack Trice suffered fatal injuries during a game in 1923. He died two days later.
- Today in Afro History ! Activist Steve Biko is arrested by South African police in 1977. He would later die from injuries suffered during his arrest. South Africa is banned from 1964 Olympics because of apartheid.
Today in Afro History ! George Coleman Poage becomes the first Afro American to win a medal in an Olympic Games. He won two bronze medals in the 1904 Olympics ! was last modified: August 31st, 2019 by Marc Alexander