- Today in Afro History ! Henry O. Flipper becomes the first Afro American to graduate from West Point in 1877 !
- Today in Afro History ! The Fifteenth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution is ratified in 1870, which granted voting rights regardless of race.
- Today in Afro History ! Activist Steve Biko is arrested by South African police in 1977. He would later die from injuries suffered during his arrest. South Africa is banned from 1964 Olympics because of apartheid.
- Today in Afro History ! The Fifteenth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution is adopted in 1870, which prohibits the denying of any citizen the right to vote based on race or color !
- Today in Afro History ! South African President, F.W. de Klerk lifted the ban against anti-apartheid groups such as the African National Congress and committed to releasing Nelson Mandela in 1990 !
- Today in Afro History ! Thurgood Marshall is nominated to become the first Afro American on the U.S. Supreme Court in 1967 !
Today in Afro History ! Fifteen West African countries sign “The Treaty of Lagos” in 1975, creating the Economic Community of West African States ! was last modified: May 1st, 2020 by Marc Alexander