NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — A welding torch sparked a fire and evacuation at a Brooklyn synagogue on Tuesday. It happened at Bnai Adath Kol Beth Yisrael on Patchen Ave in Bed Stuy. “We had workers working on the roof, a fire started, it got inside the interior of this religious structure, house of worship,” Deputy Chief Devin Wood said. Extensive damage to centuries-old synagogue in Bed Stuy. Workers had been making repairs on the roof. #1010WINS pic.twitter.com/qrwwXF5je2 — Juliet Papa (@winsjuliet) November 14, 2017 The synagogue is centuries old and serves an active congregation. The two-alarm blaze looks to have spread from the roof where work was being done. Firefighters were forced to evacuate the building, but not before recovering the Torahs which were not damaged. Congregation member Kalila told 1010 WINS’ Juliet Papa that they have found refuge. “Yeah we can go to our neighboring synagogue on Willoby, Beth Shalom. So we have a place where we can worship, thank god,” she said. And she said they will rebuild. Police were questioning a repairman who was working on the roof using a blowtorch, no arrests have been made.
Brooklyn Synagogue Evacuated After Rooftop Fire Spreads